Last week, one of my colleagues (who is also a housemate) sent us a text message "Cognac in the kitchen." Five of us piled out of our rooms.
A patients gave my colleague a bottle of cognac to thank her for getting him out of jail. He'd had a psychotic episode from the drugs he takes for treatment and ended up in jail. She went and spoke on his behalf and he was released. To thank her he gave her a bottle of the local specialty.
So we all sat around the kitchen table at 9 pm on a Wednesday night and raised our little mismatched glasses to the toast in effect, "We see a lot of hard things every day, but let's celebrate this bright spot." It was nice to be included.
Unlike the four of them, I don't see many hard things every day. I procure visas, follow our tax payments, and consider with the cleaner how we can stop people from putting paper down the toilet even though they already know not to put paper down the toilet. But I toasted with them, thankful that the man could continue his treatment.
A patients gave my colleague a bottle of cognac to thank her for getting him out of jail. He'd had a psychotic episode from the drugs he takes for treatment and ended up in jail. She went and spoke on his behalf and he was released. To thank her he gave her a bottle of the local specialty.
So we all sat around the kitchen table at 9 pm on a Wednesday night and raised our little mismatched glasses to the toast in effect, "We see a lot of hard things every day, but let's celebrate this bright spot." It was nice to be included.
Unlike the four of them, I don't see many hard things every day. I procure visas, follow our tax payments, and consider with the cleaner how we can stop people from putting paper down the toilet even though they already know not to put paper down the toilet. But I toasted with them, thankful that the man could continue his treatment.
1 comment:
You like the bumble bees on my blog? I like the Annie Dillard quote on yours. I think a lot about how or whether the geography of where we live - the idea of place as its own entity reflects something of our own spiritual geography. Often it seems to say something more than just a physical description of the parts. So thanks for posting.
Post a Comment