Monday, November 4, 2013

The wedding quilt

Grandma Pat, if not a lifetime quilter, at 80 has been a many-decades quilter anyway. For each of her grandchildren's weddings she has made them a quilt if they wanted. As I was outmarried by five of my nine cousins or siblings, despite being the second-oldest, I used to ask her if we got a quilt if we never married.

I never got a straight answer. But it should be noted that within two months of my having started to date Tom Gr. Pat was asking what colors I wanted for my wedding quilt. Suffice it to say she was one of his early proponents.

It wasn't until about a year ago that I made it to her fabric room a.k.a. Uncle Carl's room to pick out my colors, and there found 16 sewn blocks amongst the calico scraps of my childhood Easter dresses.

If I have the story straight, the mom of a friend of my grandma's had made those blocks sometime in the 1930s and then never wanted them. Neither did her daughter, and somehow they made it into Grandma Pat's collection.  I picked them and fabric for a reasonable facsimile to make four more blocks for a total of 20. So Grandma Pat sewed the extra and then blocked the whole thing together with white and red. Finally, it was sent to Arkansas to a lady who hand-quilted the whole thing.

And here is the lovely and precious wedding quilt. 

1 comment:

Anduin said...

What a precious gift.