In the early days (March, that is), I had high hopes of getting the 2-3 month Community Focused Project Officer job liaising between immigrant women and employers. In fact, the bulk of my time was spent caring for the children of upper-middle class contractors who live in the suburbs. It's safe to say we adored each other, the situation was a perfect fit for all involved, and they will count among some of the finest new friends of my travel.
Devi, Dharshi, and I were having a chat (or, "I was having a chat to Devi and Dharshi") last week, at our last Tuesday Tasting which was actually a Saturday Tasting of bar food at one of the nicest restaurants in the city, and they were regaling me with tales of their workmates who they work hard to know at a data verification = warm calling center. Dharshi said, "Everyone thinks they're so unhappy because they're working there, but that's not why they're unhappy." One of their co-workers, Mart, told them they have incandescent personalities. If ever there was a adjective for letting your light shine.
So we learn good lessons about having jobs that don't make sense in terms of our callings or passions (-Devi), but will some day make sense when we know more of the story.
So now I'm in the tropical north, Cairns. Quite a change to the drought-stricken south. I'm staying with sons-of-acquaintance who live the bachelor life in the grimiest sense, but who are otherwise amiable, and off to meet friends-of-friends for some beach volleyball. Diving Great Barrier Reef tomorrow . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment