Imports are a source of constant intrigue for me. Here I take the supply chain much less for granted. You can only imagine what you're eating coming over the Khyber Pass from Pakistan in a tricked-out lorry.
In foodstuffs it varies between four main options – Afghan, Pakistani, Iranian, and Indian. Pakistan and Iran are our main source for dairy. We keep trying local yogurt, but find it's gone alcoholic by the third day. It's possible to buy Danish butter, but it costs 120 Afs vs the 40 Afs (real) butter from Iran. Pakistan offers low-fat milk. We're using Indian eggs at 5 Afs, $.10/ea. Apparently local eggs are of more dubious quality.
Unfortunately Afghanistan produces much less than its capacity. One tragic piece of recent history was the legendary orchards of Kandahar being decimated during the Soviet invasion because they provided too good of cover for fighters. But Afghan melons, apricots, grapes, and veggies definitely feature in the Kabul bazaars. We buy local bread.
Matches can be bought 100 boxes for 100 Afs, about 40 matches to a box. In a box, easily 40% will never light. I'm not sure where they come from, but they're no credit to the producer.
I bought shampoo and conditioner from my local bazaar on separate occasions. The brand of both is Pantene, blue labeled "Classic Care." The shampoo is from France and the conditioner is from Australia. I'm told it's necessary to check the consistency of the shampoo while shopping as some strong lye numbers have been deceptively packaged.
There are decent clothing shops, and tailors are always an option, but I have yet to visit either. My only purchase has been a snuggly cashmere men's sweater in a secondhand bazaar, the same one with the stork, for $3.
Quality bedding must be obtained secondhand (or imported in your luggage). Many people (expats?) sleep with a wool pad under their sheets in winter. Mine is –Das Beste– Royal Merino Made in West Germany, guaranteed for five years. I have a down comforter on loan, having belonged to one A. Derrik before my upstairs neighbor, per the tag sewn-in. My own down comforter was purchased at the Bush Bazaar for $10. It remains to be seen if the Bush Bazaar will become the Obama Bazaar next month.
I hope you've enjoyed this trip down consumer alley, Kabul, Afghanistan.
2 comments:
yeah second-hand cashmere!
Thank you so much for these glimpses of your life!
Post a Comment