My computer is still dead, but last night I had a breakthrough. I talked to a man in California who gave me a next-step. One week, one next-step. But then friends lent me a laptop, and I had something to connect with the language school guys about; (They helped me figure out which SIM card to buy for $.11/min to the US because they're mobile phone maniacs with Barry White ringtones).
Last night Fay and I had friends for fondue. Emmental with bread and veggies, then 3 chocolate bars melted in 1/2 liter buffalo cream with fruit.
On Thurs I'm headed to Nepal via India - my first time out of country since arriving. Will I feel naked in a T-shirt, without my head covered? Likely. It's a retreat. And exciting, a new country at its almost most beautiful time of the year!
Two weeks ago, a friend with a projector had us for dinner and showed Slumdog Millionaire. I've never seen anything like it before, which must be one of the reasons it's so impressive. My strongest continuing reaction is the little kids dancing at the end of the movie, innocence lost. I'm not ruining anything if you haven't seen it, but you probably know what I'm talking about if you have.
I find myself with a disturbing increasing fondness for the smell of diesel smoke. Because it means the bukhari is on and you will soon be warm. Good thing spring is on its way.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Han-
tried to send you an email to your usual address but it came back. Is that something to do with the computer? I won't think so with gmail.... So what is the next step with the computer?
You would have loved the Academy Awards this year. I watched the whole thing with Dad... Hugh Jackman MC'd. Besides being a hunk he is really talented and can sing and dance. It was the best show ever with them weaving all the movies in and out all night. I said to Dad that Hannah would have loved it and he agreed that between the two of you you would have all the actors! Miss being in contact! Can't wait for your retreat when you can "phone home, ET".
Love,
Mother
Han! I saw Slumdog in January and felt the same way--it is spectacular in a new, disturbing, touching way. I'm so sorry to hear about your computer! Horrible.
Oh, and I like that long hair. Don't make me grow mine back out now.
Miss you.
Post a Comment