haram - forbidden. Pig and dog meat is forbidden in Islam.
halal - acceptable. The meat of a sheep or cow slaughtered according to Islamic religious law is acceptable.
Every morning every person in this town, and maybe the whole province, drinks salty milk tea for breakfast. It must have good benefits for hardworking people - calories, salt, protein. In the winter it comes in a specialty, chor mogs chai, literally "four brains tea." "Four brains" means walnuts. Walnuts are finely chopped and added to the boiled savory milk tea. The effect is not unpleasant, and unless you get the serving with full-fat cream somehow the texture of fried egg white floating in it, drinking it is no problem.
Except
I had a worm incident earlier in the year. (I both hate and fear worms). Walnuts grow in the province and can be had fairly inexpensively at any time in the year. They lay in huge sacks exposed to the dirt roads until someone buys them. This summer I'd sealed walnuts in a tupperware container, only to come along later, open it up, and find maggots crawling out. A walnut's surface is perfect for wispy little nests. So now if I ever cook with walnuts I pick through very carefully, then rinse, boil, and bake the them to put myself at ease.
The same can not be said for everyone else.
Yesterday was rainy and the first day back from the Eid Qorban ("sacrifice") holiday. My colleagues were feeling festive and both the ladies brought a seasonal frosting-like food made of 2:1 oil to flour plus sugar and cardamom to be eaten on bread or hard-tack cookies. As they took up a collection to buy walnuts for the perfect luncheon accompaniment, chor mogs chai, I protested weakly.
I was dismissed with the argument that worms are not haram.
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Eek! yeah I'd be doing all that too! You get to come home soon, yeah? Is it just for the holidays or is it more permanent?
WHWC lives on. I'll forward on your story to Nate. :) Can't wait to see you! xoxo
I guess that's a case of going for the lesser of two weevils.
i get to see you soon (giddy giggles)!
Oh Han. That frosting description made me cringe. You know I did. But I loved reading this post and will be henceforth encouraging you to write a book of essays from your time abroad when you are old and grey and full of sleep.
Post a Comment