It turns out Afghanistan also has caches of spinel and ruby. Throughout history, spinel has been confused with ruby. In part, this is because spinel is often found in the same deposits. Gem spinel is a magnesium aluminum oxide, while ruby (corundum) is an aluminum oxide. In deposits where both ruby and red spinel are found, spinel is typically more common than ruby. This is because, when both magnesium and aluminum are present, spinel grows. Only after the magnesium is exhausted, does ruby get a chance to crystallize. This makes sense as the words used here, also documented in these articles, are lal and yaqut, seemingly interchangeable words for pink, red, and purple rocks.
In addition to the above link, here is another fascinating article if all of the sudden you, too, are interested in the rocks of Afghanistan. These articles argue that the crown jewels of the Ottoman Empire, Iran, Russia, and the UK all featuring stunning spinels perhaps misattributed to Burma or Sri Lanka - came from Afghanistan.

Tutankahmen's Mask

Imperial Russian Crown
4 comments:
Lapis...rubies... I don't care... bring them on. Let me know if I need to deposit some money in your account!!! XXOO
Thanks Hannah for the geo-geology! I have always been fascinated at the dessimination of natural resources in acient cultures. It is always interesting to recognize what some cultures value so greatly that they will import/export it over all the world. Salt and gold are oft examples of such, but now I shall add Lapis to my bank of knowledge.
Thanks for the message Hannah. I've been keeping up on you through the link on Aftann's page. Yes moving 'away' has posed certain challenges, but none to the extent that you're facing I'm sure. We will not be able to return home for Christmas, the football season will go through January 3rd this year. We do enjoy our makeshift holiday get-togethers with friends after football practice, but it is the time of year we miss our family the most. I'm sure you can relate. I am glad you will be able to return home in December. Many people will be happy to see you and catch up on your travels. Take care of yourself in the mean time. Love, Ang
Moses knew about this stone (Ex 24:10; 28:18). I guess he saw it in Egypt. I guess it came from your place. Amazing. The prophets knew about it too.
Post a Comment