Friday, January 29, 2010

Back in the swing

I returned to my town and work this week. It was good to be back and because it’s so “other” from anything else in my experience, it seems like I was never gone, and that here is the only place that there is. All the rest of the world is pretty far away.

I was greeted with two news items of significance. One of my colleagues told me another was engaged, and then another of my colleagues told me the first is pregnant. So a big week for spilling other people’s beans.

Percy is still here, which I checked before buying 20 more kilos of catfood in Kabul. Her affections are now split between myself and the guards who cared for her in my absence.

Yesterday was my Golden Birthday, 28 on the 28th. I remembered my birthday last year. Fay made me an omelet for breakfast, banoffee pie for lunch, and we went out with a dozen friends to the only Mexican restaurant in the city. She graciously humored the Americans by saying names of Mexican dishes with British pronunciation. Jalapeño with a hard “j,” tortilla without the “y,” you know.

Oh, and here's the last story: My three teammates who are in town offered to throw me a birthday party. I said yes, please, Mexican food. (In a rut? Maybe). So yesterday I was taking it easy, got out of bed at 11:00 am, made myself a 3 white/2 yolk omelets with gouda and capers, reflected on becoming 28 - same age as my mom when I was born, the 28 and the ’82, etc. And headed back to my room to write some emails.

Then J. stopped by and asked if I was ok. I thought that was a little over the top, even though my yard-mates are gone for two more days, I'm doing fine here by myself with a doorman. I said of course. Then he said everyone was waiting.

SURPRISE, the party I thought was at 4:30 pm was at noon. I rocked up at 12:50, 15 minutes after his visit, an hour late to my own party with, like, 17 people there (half of whom were kids, but more the worse). I had to wear a scarf because I’m back on the bucket bathing schedule - I was going to wash after my leisurely brunch. The meal was delicious - beans, tortillas, and sour cream from scratch, chicken fajita meat. Plus a Scandanavian-style cake of fruit and cream. A few journals, bath salts, a few bars of chocolate; I felt well celebrated.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah- 28 on the 28th - Happy Belated my sweet! So glad you showed up for Mexican food! I remember a fabulous trip to the city of your birth that year. When you were just weeks old we, including your roly-poly cousin, came to see and cuddle you. What joy it was/is to celebrate your birth!

stacia said...

Happy belated birthday!