Friday, April 16, 2010

Photos: Bamiyan

I'll have a million years to write text posts, but just hours at Au Bon Pain cafe in the Dubai Festival City mall, so let the photo uploads commence!

Days turn into weeks turn into month (but usually not very quickly) of quiet living in my rural town. Then all of the sudden I'm down in Kabul, visiting friends, eating Japanese, missing my shopping buddy, running errands.

This time I was lucky to get a seat on a privately chartered plane going to Bamiyan for a day trip. This brings my grand total of places I've seen in Afghanistan to four, two of them being day trips.

Bamiyan is famous for it's now empty niches where the 1,500 year-old colossal Buddhas once stood before being detonated in 2001 by you-know-who. The same day we also hiked to a hilltop fortress called the Shahr-e Zohak, covered in white rocks to show it's been de-mined. Apparently Ghengis Khan's grandson was killed there, unleashing the vengeful fury of Ghengis on the entire valley. The weather and scenery combined for a day of sightseeing that will memorable in my entire life.





If you click on a small photo, a bigger one will load.

1 comment:

Eden said...

Wow Hannah. You are such a beautiful woman! What amazing places