A few weeks ago my colleague/friend L called me an extrovert. I was like, "Oh no, you've got that all wrong. I am definitely an introvert. In some situations in the past I've been a bit nearer the middle, usually in a group of about 12 people, but I definitely get my energy from being alone."
After a bit of introspection, she might be right. Between the World Cup Fever of June/July and visiting Kabul and Mazar for the past two weeks, I've had many more opportunities to hang out with people than in the previous year. And I've taken it. I've taken it like a maniac, every 11:00 pm - 1:30 am game, every sleepover, every chance to go carpet shopping or crash an embassy party, every funding meeting, every dinner invitation, I've been there.
We'll see how long this lasts. I've previously defined loneliness as not having the option to be with people irrespective of taking the option. Around soccer matches I established with a few new friends in town that they'd been really lonely in the first part of this year, too. I think we'll stick pretty close in the next few months. Dinner is already on for tomorrow night. I wouldn't miss it.
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment