I've never not posted for three weeks since I started writing. But it's just been such an exciting life that it was bound to happen. Along with five colleagues I've come to Sweden to see where it all began, our adult education inspiration, folkbildning.
In the meantime, I had my first experience with physical therapy. August 2010 ended rehabilitating a lower back injury, some combination of a reoccurring thing from last winter, volleyball in Kabul, and faulty PT. I went to the local ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) where an Afghan physical therapist helped me with ice, massage, and exercises. One exercise may have been ill-advised and delayed my progress by another week or two, but thankfully I’m now much improved.
The human experience of the therapy was more l than anything I could expect in a western clinic. I had to laugh as my therapist explained the conditions of patients laying in nearby beds, as I taught her the English word tickling, was invited to her house, and discussed her recent marriage. If I were staying longer I would want to be friends with her.
Friday, September 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Glad you're back. I've been waiting! (hoping that doesn't sound creepy; can't decide)
Post a Comment