Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The belt buckle (and Buying a hammer, reprised)

In Afghanistan I made lovely friends from Australia. Julie and Phil and their kids.

A few months ago Phil had this picture from a work trip to Mazar-i-Sharif on his blog. They are trinkets for sale at the bazaar in the north of Afghanistan. It was relevant to this post, a story about a gracious response to that dreadful feeling of being screwed, knowing your being screwed.

I saw that Wonderful Wyoming belt buckle and asked Phil if he'd get it for me. He lives in another city, so one of his colleagues returned to the bazaar and somehow got it into Phil's hands. 150 Afs, $3, and he refused to be repaid. A board member brought it back from Kabul and mailed it from New York. The transaction took place from February to May. I returned home from my cousins' weddings anxious to check the mail.

When I showed it to my dad, he noted that it had not been dropped there recently by a soldier. The back buckle-y bit is broken off and it appears to have lain in the dirt for some years.

The bucking horse and rider is the logo of Wyoming, used as a sports mascot and on our license plates. The horse, Steamboat, was from the Swan Land & Cattle Company in my town. And now he's home again.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad it got to you! Its a good story. I hope your wedding was lovely too - we would have loved to have been there. Love to you both from Kabul.