Monday, May 9, 2011

Prayer flags

I spent two days in Charleston, South Carolina, with Afghanistan friends Elsbeth and Travis there on R&R. It's a beautiful city with many charms. Not the least of which was The Big Nasty at Hominy Cafe, fried chicken on a biscuit with sausage gravy and white cheddar cheese. But I digress...

We popped in the historic Circular Congregational Church where they had batiks hanging from the eaves, "In the Tibetan tradition of hanging banners meant to bless and heal." I've seen prayer flags in Nepal and India and appreciated their beauty in remote places. The artist of the batiks, Mary Edna Fraser, had 15 silk banners hanging in the church - from aerial views of local rivers to distant galaxies. I loved her blessing through these works of art.


Left to right:
Eye of God, a silk patterned with ferns depicts the Helix Nebula.
Great Barrier Reef I (Australia), the biggest singular structure made by living organisms.
Charleston Red (SC), the Charleston watershed where the artist has lived for three decades.
Hurricane Katrina, "My prayer is for recovery for all the people left in the wake of storms as they continue to rebuild their lives."
Spiral Galaxy, Billions of stars make up this distant galaxy that is twice the size of our Milky Way.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow! Beautiful!