Saturday, December 10, 2011

Flint

While we returned a rental car in Flint, Michigan this week, music played through the airport,

He rules the world with truth and grace,
And makes the nations prove
The glories of his righteousness,
And wonders of his love, and wonders of his love, and wonders, wonders of his love...


Good news indeed!

The hospital

During our courtship I was never in the same state as Tom while he was working. He's an itinerant worker for now, working locum tenents in the medical field, "one holding a place."

I went with him on my first stint in mid-November. It's work at which he is gifted, helping heal people who are pretty beat up coming in from the most violent city in the country. However, he did a month's worth of work in two weeks, about half of them 34-hr days. I had a car and a hotel suite, bored sometimes, lonely sometimes.

I spent an afternoon with a friendly nurse he knew from earlier gigs and she said, "My hat's off to physician's wives." And I thought a bit frantically, "What's that supposed to mean!?"

I found a nice yoga studio and wrote thank you letters, I took Tom snacks at the call room. He was a sport and went with me exhausted on his free afternoons and evenings to the Rembrandt and the Faces of Jesus exhibition in Detroit, The Nutcracker at a strangely luxe performance center in Flint, and lots of fun small-town restaurants. So we're learning our way. And we're going to do it again in January after December in Denver and surrounds.

2 comments:

ali said...

Thanks for the good word, Han. And the update. As always, I like your clear-eyedness (which is not a word, but oh well) about life. Merry Christmas. xoxo

Dan and Lynn said...

Learning to be a wife. A year ago who would have thought?