One of the reasons I pushed to come here was because I knew it would mean staying in the same place for three months. We hadn't done that yet together and I was quite keen to play house with Tom.
My work here, after a series of meetings and interviews with the secretariat, is to develop and deliver a one-day leadership training to medical clinic managers from around the country in June, provided the funds for their travel and accommodation are released. This makes me self-paced, and something of a house wife.
As I alluded to recently, Tom is a big chunk of muscle. Something I didn't realize about the maintenance of such bodies, is that they require a lot of protein. I'm a More with Less girl myself, happy to get by on beans, eggs, cheese, and fruit unless I'm home in beef country (that actually doesn't make me sound like much of a More with Less girl if you follow Mennonite lines of thought).
Tom and I share so many values, and we're at a pretty good place with our agree-to-disagrees. I support him eating how he needs to, and can, eat in order to maintain the health to do activities he loves.
But as the #1 family chef, I'm forced to learning more about cooking meat than I'd previously known. Chicken only comes on the bone (hence baking the chicken and pulling it off with a fork to put in fajitas), but I've found a packet of lean "goulash beef" pieces that are pretty easy.
Tonight I tried a Jamie Oliver recipe. It is his so-called Jool's favourite beef stew, and ever since I saw him on an in-flight TV segment about Moroccan tangines, followed by a dutch oven cookout in Cody, Wyoming, I've thought he's alright. You can read about how he eschews the browning of meat before stewing it in the oven. You can also read his exact recipe at the link, my modifications below.
Preheat the oven to 160ºC/300ºF/gas 2.
Put a little oil and a knob of butter into an appropriately sized pot or casserole pan.
Add one peeled and chopped onion and fry for 3 or 4 minutes.
Toss the a pound of stewing beef in a little seasoned flour, then add it to the pan with veggies: half a butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped, pearl onions, four peeled and halved carrots, fingerling potatoes, and 2 T. tomato paste.
Add 1/2 bottle of red wine and 1 C. vegetable stock.
Gently stir together.
Season generously with freshly ground black pepper and just a little salt.
Bring to the boil, place a lid on top, then cook in the preheated oven until the meat is tender.
Sometimes this takes 3 hours, sometimes 4 – it depends on what cut of meat you’re using and how fresh it is. The only way to test is to mash up a piece of meat and if it falls apart easily it’s ready. Once it’s cooked, you can turn the oven down to about 110°C/225°F and just hold it there until you’re ready to eat.
Tom loved it inordinately. He said it was the sort of stew for which Esau sold his birthright.
My work here, after a series of meetings and interviews with the secretariat, is to develop and deliver a one-day leadership training to medical clinic managers from around the country in June, provided the funds for their travel and accommodation are released. This makes me self-paced, and something of a house wife.
As I alluded to recently, Tom is a big chunk of muscle. Something I didn't realize about the maintenance of such bodies, is that they require a lot of protein. I'm a More with Less girl myself, happy to get by on beans, eggs, cheese, and fruit unless I'm home in beef country (that actually doesn't make me sound like much of a More with Less girl if you follow Mennonite lines of thought).
Tom and I share so many values, and we're at a pretty good place with our agree-to-disagrees. I support him eating how he needs to, and can, eat in order to maintain the health to do activities he loves.
But as the #1 family chef, I'm forced to learning more about cooking meat than I'd previously known. Chicken only comes on the bone (hence baking the chicken and pulling it off with a fork to put in fajitas), but I've found a packet of lean "goulash beef" pieces that are pretty easy.
Tonight I tried a Jamie Oliver recipe. It is his so-called Jool's favourite beef stew, and ever since I saw him on an in-flight TV segment about Moroccan tangines, followed by a dutch oven cookout in Cody, Wyoming, I've thought he's alright. You can read about how he eschews the browning of meat before stewing it in the oven. You can also read his exact recipe at the link, my modifications below.
Preheat the oven to 160ºC/300ºF/gas 2.
Put a little oil and a knob of butter into an appropriately sized pot or casserole pan.
Add one peeled and chopped onion and fry for 3 or 4 minutes.
Toss the a pound of stewing beef in a little seasoned flour, then add it to the pan with veggies: half a butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped, pearl onions, four peeled and halved carrots, fingerling potatoes, and 2 T. tomato paste.
Add 1/2 bottle of red wine and 1 C. vegetable stock.
Gently stir together.
Season generously with freshly ground black pepper and just a little salt.
Bring to the boil, place a lid on top, then cook in the preheated oven until the meat is tender.
Sometimes this takes 3 hours, sometimes 4 – it depends on what cut of meat you’re using and how fresh it is. The only way to test is to mash up a piece of meat and if it falls apart easily it’s ready. Once it’s cooked, you can turn the oven down to about 110°C/225°F and just hold it there until you’re ready to eat.
Tom loved it inordinately. He said it was the sort of stew for which Esau sold his birthright.
3 comments:
Uh oh. I shared this note with my husband (we laughed at the birth right comment) and now he wants to try some! Somehow I'm not sure this veggie girl is going to cook it for him though :) I enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for sharing!
Oh my. The birthright means it was GOOD. Try this Jamie Oliver too, if you get a chance: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/tender-chicken-legs-with-tomatoes
oh the things we do - and cook - for the men we love! http://midwifestacia.blogspot.com/2009/09/and-this-is-how-much-i-love-my-husband.html
Post a Comment