In 2010, I thought it was cute to say, "I don't know what life holds for me, but in 2012, I'm going to Helsinki." That was because Finnish colleagues had told me that in 2012, Helsinki would be the World Design Capital. And it had come up initially because they had iittala glass in their house in Kabul.
I first admired iittala (pronounced ee'-ta-la) glass about a decade ago, Laura Roebuck's Nappi candleholders she'd received as a wedding gift. Google facilitated my growing familiarity with the Finnish design brand, specializing in art glass and household objects.
I also think it's cute when someone has an obscure hobby or interest that means a whole lot to them and very little to anyone else. You could say iittala is that for me.
Back to Kabul, TS said his uncle is a designer who worked with iittala. My eyes lit up and I asked who. It was none other than Oiva Toikka, the glass bird legend. Upon learning of my interest, the family said I should visit in 2012 during the Design Capital.
That dream came true last week as Tom and I spent five days with my Finnish friends. We relaxed as we were incorporated into family-of-five life, enjoying the beautiful northern summer with multiple picnics and walks by the lake and the sea. My friends even included in the schedule a trip to Nuutajärvi, middle-of-nowhere Finland, where all the iittala glass is made (and a few discontinued items are on special). Anu Penttinen was working there. She's a designer about my age whose Vittrini box I have long admired.
Tom and I also had 48 hours by ourselves in Helsinki, a shoppers delight. To top it off, we saw Oiva himself, 80 years old, having an ice cream in a market square.
Markku Salo's Nappi candle holder
I also think it's cute when someone has an obscure hobby or interest that means a whole lot to them and very little to anyone else. You could say iittala is that for me.
Back to Kabul, TS said his uncle is a designer who worked with iittala. My eyes lit up and I asked who. It was none other than Oiva Toikka, the glass bird legend. Upon learning of my interest, the family said I should visit in 2012 during the Design Capital.
Oiva Toikka's bluebird
As Tom and I made plans this spring to cross the Atlantic, I though, "Going to Malawi, why not pop up to Finland?"
That dream came true last week as Tom and I spent five days with my Finnish friends. We relaxed as we were incorporated into family-of-five life, enjoying the beautiful northern summer with multiple picnics and walks by the lake and the sea. My friends even included in the schedule a trip to Nuutajärvi, middle-of-nowhere Finland, where all the iittala glass is made (and a few discontinued items are on special). Anu Penttinen was working there. She's a designer about my age whose Vittrini box I have long admired.
Tom and I also had 48 hours by ourselves in Helsinki, a shoppers delight. To top it off, we saw Oiva himself, 80 years old, having an ice cream in a market square.
Anu Penttinen's Vittrini box



2 comments:
I love this story. Hooray!
Ah... so what treasures did you purchase?
Post a Comment