Back in June, there was brief mention here of a Mount Mulanje. Brief enough that I didn't say it's the third-highest mountain on the continent of Africa, nestled in the modest country of Malawi, an 8,000 ft rise.
I did mention that Tom wanted to climb it in one day, and that I wanted to climb it in three days. My preferred method of trekking is with donkeys and porters and someone to cook vegetable curries. Tom is a bit more spartan.
Tom did climb it. He climbed it in one day, and descended it that same day. Anyone who knows the peak, Sapitwa, literally Don't go there, was well-impressed with his feat. A lovely South African man who has lived in Malawi for 25 years climbed it in one day in his youth; he said once is enough.
If you want the full story, Tom tells it well. He engaged a guide who went off to get his other friend, also a guide, because the first boy had never climbed it in one day, but the second one, Rober, had. Once. With three Japanese men, one of whom ended up retreating in tears.
Rober is 22, hoping to finish secondary school soon and go on to medical school. The climb is a grueling 12-hour ordeal, about which he said, "Sapitwa is no joke!" Tom realized he'd have stood no chance without a guide to show him shortcuts and mountain springs, and grew fond of the trusty young man.
Tom did the entire climb in nice trail shoes. Rober did the hike in plastic Chinese slippers. He rotates these plastic slippers with another pair of plastic slippers because they don't wear out as quickly.
At the end of the hike, as they descended in the dark by flashlight, Tom offered to send Rober a pair of good shoes. Rober asked for Tom's shoes, but they were two sizes too big.
I found a good pair of trail shoes, two pair of socks, and polarized sunglasses at Sierra Trading Post and had them shipped to the American surgeon who followed Tom. Unfortunately the good doctor's luggage was lost in transit for two weeks and Rober's new shoes were stolen.
We bought another pair, realizing it would only be by the grace of God that they get there there at all, let alone fit. Tom put them in the mail seven weeks ago, $140 invested at that point. I feared if this pair didn't make it, Tom's man-of-his-word-ness would kick in, and we could spend months if not years providing hiking shoes to various members of African national postal services. Maybe that would be okay.
But this week, Tom got an email from Rober,
Hi Thom,
How are you now? I want to tell you right now that I receive the Parcel. It is very nice and it is very good it has right size for me. If I find a camera I will send a picture for the shoes. What goes with you now?
Lastly, thank you for the kindness you have done to me.
Regards from,
Rober
Hooray!
I did mention that Tom wanted to climb it in one day, and that I wanted to climb it in three days. My preferred method of trekking is with donkeys and porters and someone to cook vegetable curries. Tom is a bit more spartan.
Tom did climb it. He climbed it in one day, and descended it that same day. Anyone who knows the peak, Sapitwa, literally Don't go there, was well-impressed with his feat. A lovely South African man who has lived in Malawi for 25 years climbed it in one day in his youth; he said once is enough.
Rober is 22, hoping to finish secondary school soon and go on to medical school. The climb is a grueling 12-hour ordeal, about which he said, "Sapitwa is no joke!" Tom realized he'd have stood no chance without a guide to show him shortcuts and mountain springs, and grew fond of the trusty young man.
Tom did the entire climb in nice trail shoes. Rober did the hike in plastic Chinese slippers. He rotates these plastic slippers with another pair of plastic slippers because they don't wear out as quickly.
At the end of the hike, as they descended in the dark by flashlight, Tom offered to send Rober a pair of good shoes. Rober asked for Tom's shoes, but they were two sizes too big.
I found a good pair of trail shoes, two pair of socks, and polarized sunglasses at Sierra Trading Post and had them shipped to the American surgeon who followed Tom. Unfortunately the good doctor's luggage was lost in transit for two weeks and Rober's new shoes were stolen.
We bought another pair, realizing it would only be by the grace of God that they get there there at all, let alone fit. Tom put them in the mail seven weeks ago, $140 invested at that point. I feared if this pair didn't make it, Tom's man-of-his-word-ness would kick in, and we could spend months if not years providing hiking shoes to various members of African national postal services. Maybe that would be okay.
Hi Thom,
How are you now? I want to tell you right now that I receive the Parcel. It is very nice and it is very good it has right size for me. If I find a camera I will send a picture for the shoes. What goes with you now?
Lastly, thank you for the kindness you have done to me.
Regards from,
Rober
Hooray!





6 comments:
I love that story--so great! Yay, Tom, Hannah, and the African postal service!
Hooray, indeed!!! That is wonderful! Doubt that there will be many other one day hikers though....
Hooray, indeed!!! That is wonderful! Doubt that there will be many other one day hikers though....
Great story... "someone to cook vegetable curries" - PRICELESS!!!
This is such a fantastic tale! Seriously, Hannah...I hope that you are compiling all of these nuggets because you could definitely create a wonderful book!
I echo everyone else. It's a wonderful story in its own right, but you do so well at telling it (and all of your other ones too).
Post a Comment