Sunday, November 18, 2012

Ann Arbor

One thing I do when Tom works in Michigan is visit Ann Arbor. It is home to the University of Michigan. I first heard it referred to as The People's Republic of Ann Arbor in 2004, but I enjoy it for the yummy restaurants, cute shops, and art house films.  A 45 mile drive from our hotel, as long as I've dropped Tom at the hospital, I have the rental car at my disposal. Last weekend I had two memorable visits to Ann Arbor.

Angie and Selma Cafe: The little sister of one of my closest childhood friends, Angie lives in Michigan part of the year because of her husband's job. We met last week at Selma Cafe. Once a week, a lady allows 200 eaters to descend on her house where local chefs or plain good cooks prepare breakfast from seasonal ingredients. Check out their menu if you need delightful brunch inspiration! We managed to close down the place for talking before we moved out to her car to talk for another hour. I thought, if only all these people knew they had two girls from Chug____ in their very presence.


Michigan v. Northwest: I'd heard Michigan football was something of a spectacle. One of my [two] physiotherapy student friends couldn't use her ticket and I pounced. What I didn't know until Mick texted me is that Michigan has the biggest football stadium in the country. There were 112,000 fans. I stood in the student section with my free yellow pompom. Michigan trailed all game, but forced it into overtime after an epic catch with 8 seconds left in regulation. The crowd went wild when Michigan scored on their chance and Northwest did not.


The main issue was my husband's entire family is for Ohio State, Michgan's sworn rivals. For the record, I wasn't too happy when Michigan won.  

1 comment:

Jennifer Miller said...

How fun! Hi Angie! I only went to Ann Arbor a handful of times (usually when passing through to get to Detroit). Never stopped for food or shopping, sadly.