Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A cabin in Cheyenne

Since my last report, we’ve moved into a cabin in Cheyenne. Albeit for six weeks.  

The idea was “my own space” for the holidays after a fall of hotels and basements. My dear man has not been entirely on the same page, as the basement we most frequented was his own bat cave. We saw the provision of this little furnished cabin (think 600 sq ft of Lincoln Logs) differently, but he indulged me. 

 The bed/bath half, note the Ralph Lauren sheets, 
Tom’s pick at TJ Maxx

 The kitchen, abundant fake foliage comes with the place

 Georg Jensen candleholder, a wedding present from my sister’s in-laws, a special dispensation out of storage for the Advent season. Now if we just had matches…

A little tree was in my mind for a lot of weeks and here it is realized

We have just passed three weeks without my family’s dog, Sully. He was a sweet dog, ruining a cat person for most other dogs.  

My parents say most activities of most days are marked by Sully’s absence. He was especially my dad’s constant companion. Dad and I (and a welder) collaborated to make a life-sized silhouette of him to sit alongside the cowboy (my dad’s silhouette) out on the bluff near our house. I don't have a picture of it yet, must go on a dogless walk next time I'm home to get it.

Dad and Sully, two winters ago

And in other news, just on the brink of settling finally in one place with my husband, my long-silent friends emailed and offered me a job. It’s in Central Asia for six months, without Tom. We have considered and I have accepted. So that all kicks off 1 Jan. 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I love your little cabin! Sweet tree as well!

Michelle K said...

As with all great writers/story tellers, you wove a beautiful story that drew me in completely and then dropped a bomb at the end that left me wanting to know more. I am anxious for a coffee date to hear more of the details of how you arrived at the decision and your thoughts on where it will lead you. Hopefully next week...