Prescription sunglasses: I used to double-stack. That is, one pair of drug-store sunglasses over prescription glasses. If I ever got serious I would wear contacts and put the sunnies over. It worked okay. But I squinted a lot. Tom told me if I kept making that face it would stay that way, or at least, when I was 45 I'd have to have surgery to get my droopy brows out of my eyes.
He recommended prescription sunglasses. I had not trod that path, but thanks to JLo and Wal-Mart, I was able to score clearance frames for $9, albeit with snakeskin accent, and put in polarized lenses for $100. Nearly every day I'm thankful for my prescription sunglasses, and they don't look too bad either.
He recommended prescription sunglasses. I had not trod that path, but thanks to JLo and Wal-Mart, I was able to score clearance frames for $9, albeit with snakeskin accent, and put in polarized lenses for $100. Nearly every day I'm thankful for my prescription sunglasses, and they don't look too bad either.
Neti-pot: Most of us have some physical ailment to which we're prone. For me, since I was 10, it's been sinus infections. Sinusitis. Into adulthood I could expect to do at least one round of antibiotics per year for a cold that went wrong. There were years with three rounds.
After ages of looking longingly at neti-pots in health food stores I bought one off eBay (unused!) You mix distilled water with a solution of salt and bicarbonate of soda so it doesn't burn like you're drowning at the pool. Done once or twice a day when you have a cold with occasional gnarly/gratifying output, it has changed my life. I haven't taken antibiotics for a sinus infection in three years.
After ages of looking longingly at neti-pots in health food stores I bought one off eBay (unused!) You mix distilled water with a solution of salt and bicarbonate of soda so it doesn't burn like you're drowning at the pool. Done once or twice a day when you have a cold with occasional gnarly/gratifying output, it has changed my life. I haven't taken antibiotics for a sinus infection in three years.
Gore-Tex jacket: Of my three things, this is the one I'm least likely to say everyone needs. Just everyone sharing life with Tom. We used wedding money from my grandparents to get me a Gore-Tex jacket (at my beloved Sierra Trading Post for 60% off) and it has been worth every penny. It's not lined, very lightweight and warm, and roomy enough to go over whatever I'm wearing. Wind DOES NOT get through. With my upswing in hikes in either windy or wet conditions and my aversion to being cold, I don't cease to be amazed by what the plastic-y yet breathable fabric can do.



5 comments:
I love my prescription sunglasses too! Yay for little things that help a lot!
Hannah, can you send me more specific details about your neti pot? I think I am finally ready to give it a try as well. The idea that you've had no sinus infections for three years is very appealing!
I'm fast joining you in the wild world of outerwear.. Gore Tex sponsors life in Sweden, I think.
I am really loving these posts (I can't believe you did Longs, you hero!). I am married to a chronic sinusitis sufferer who has, upon marrying me, been forced to use the neti pot and now he is a full convert. Bravo!
I used to be a double-stacker too! Thought I was the only one, so thanks for letting me know I wasn't the only bug-eyed driver on the planet. Wonderful you were able to get a pair of prescription glasses. Thanks for sharing about Sierra Trading Post. Will check it out.
Post a Comment