Overnight train to Denmark. Forgettable.
A train, bus, walk, and hitch to the white chalk cliffs of Møn, an island on the Baltic side. Then to Copenhagen.


One couchsurfing night with a disenfranchised environmentalist (who said the new conservative government dropped its forestry programs in Nepal and Laos) who had just taken a job as a kindergarten teacher after two years of unemployment. He thinks kids will be good for him.
One Servas night with a WHO economist and his tenant "friend and colleague" whom he slapped on the butt more often than other friends and colleagues of my prior acquaintance. He explained the anathema of big box retailers in a country where the government does a very good job of taking care of its people, eliminating the need for a store that increases the poor's buying power.
Two Servas nights with a busy family while getting sick. Forgettable.
One night on the couch of Tamara, who is from the Faroe Islands: eighteen islands between the UK and Iceland with 48,000 inhabitants (if I'd learned this before, it stuck this time), a territory of Denmark. Abby's boyfriend, Ben, is half Faroese. Small world, Tamara grew up in the tropics of Venezuela with Carissa, my RA partner from junior year of college.

Now I'm in Sweden on the west coast, more Servas. Though I'm only 1/8 Swedish, it's some sort of homecoming because long before IKEA was cool, Gr. Pat & Bankaw were hanging Swedish flags on their Christmas tree.

1 comment:
I might be really tired, but I just started laughing hysterically at the friend & colleague line. Ah, Hannah, you are an original!
Post a Comment