Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Driving across America*


I'm on my way back to Wyoming for Christmas. En route, there has been opportunity for fun visits.

A. Starting with the Garbers and Grays in Washington, D.C. (where I'd left my car), I drove to Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania to visit Mary, a friend from Nantucket, who manages a small hotel there.

B. She rents a basement apartment from an Amish widow and is thriving in a way I imagine few outsiders would. I saw Mary's landlady and Mennonite friends, similar to the Faroese, think nothing of having friends drop by or spend the night. A lovely habit.


Marathon day from Pennsylvania to Illnois: 800 miles. Thankfully my entire family has Verizon, so we indulge each other in copious texts. Dad about a classic Michael and Dwight line from The Office, Mother about the weather (which has been miraculously clear), Charlie about which one of us has to buy Home Alone, etc.

C. One night in Wheaton with Sarah & Mark, best friend of Sheryl from Tennessee and old friends of Lynn and Chuck from their Chicago days.

D. Panera for lunch with Uncle Beej in Milwaukee.

E. Overnight with Maggie & Daddo in Wisconsin Rapids. Daddo made chocolate chip cookies that were both chewy and crispy on the edges. How does he do it?


F. Sioux Falls, SD visit to Mick and Tara. Tara and I drive to Deadwood, SD, tomorrow to meet Jeremy who is there for work.

*New pictures
Me and Mick
Tara & Jeremy
Mt. Rushmore a.k.a. The Four Faces



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy traveling across America--I'm glad to see you're headed West!

megarber said...

Glad to know the weather's been clear and that you've found a host of hosts along the way. xo Meg

Anonymous said...

LADIES NIGHT!

Robin said...

i need to recruit in south dakota, so i can take a sweet picture in front of rushmore. great family pics!