Sunday, January 20, 2008

Travels with Charlie

Ian Charles, hairdressing alter-ego,
with his first real gig in December.

I have invaded the last stand of the last child, joining my old buddy for the time being. Here's a snapshot of our life between Chugwater and Wheatland . . .

My first job offer was as a personal assistant at Washington State. In exchange for going to class, taking tests, and writing papers, I'll get a place on the floor of a dorm room with two 18-yr-old boys and cafeteria leftovers + all school holidays off. Tempting.

We're up in arms because Mother removed our burgeoning fruit sticker collection from under an obscure kitchen cabinet. Retribution pending.

When I first returned, someone kept missing that sizable hole, "the toilet," in the Jack & Jill [shared] bathroom. While we disagree about which one of us was offending, it has since stopped, bless his heart.

The Packer's OT loss to San Fransisco has devastated the biggest fan in a six-state region.

Grammy Mitchell's 1991 Ford Escort finally bit it on a patch of ice, having served the five of us semi-faithfully lo these many years. Charlie got a Sebring (think Michael Scott less convertible) yesterday to fill the gap and get us to Pullman, WA, in August.

He's better at Ping Pong, but I'm better at trash talking, so it might sound even to a casual observer.

The after-10 pm menu, sick: peanuts-in-shell, Mountain Dew, bacon, ramen noodles, nachos, Ben & Jerry's Dublin Mudslide, Mac & Cheese, wings, salt & vinegar chips, Honey Crisp, egg rolls, Tombstone pizza, or frozen White Castle cheeseburger.

With our best friend, Travis.

Charlie's 2008 resolutions, for me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlie's 08 resolution:
1. Take a handwriting class!

Monica said...

I wish you were close enough to do your hair, as well. Looks like somebody's got it under control though.

Manny Kay said...

I miss you and love you

Human macroecology admin said...

Hey Hannah,
I can't believe you found my other blog! that's terrible! so embarrassing - both in terms of how infrequently anything gets posted and how, well, dumb, the stuff is that does get posted. I need to figure out how to give that thing some life. I'm also kind of shy about the human macro one but for very different reasons. I need to get that going again too!

Anyway, I was the one name-dropping of course but I was excited to meet someone so famous, especially since they're famous for not meeting people - I guess he stayed true to that at least. I was telling my mom about the fun 10 second conversations between brands. That was the best part!

I hope the job search is going well and that your shoulder is better.
I'll try and check your blog from time to time for news but of course feel free to send an email sometime.

Best wishes,
Oskar

ps - you a Corb Lund fan at all or did I waste some of your emusic downloads?

Aftann Kisling said...

HEK--We like it blond! I can't wait for you to bring some of your fun up here. I've still got Charlie's number in ping-pong!!!

Anonymous said...

sis h.
charlie's list is great. i think, to be fair, you must make one for him...here are some ideas:
1. antagozing mick is out.
2. feeling to see if you have cactus legs: also out.
3. charlie's heart called and said that bacon after noon will result in an attack.

Anonymous said...

Good grief. Feeding boys must be an all-consuming job! Very fun--I'm glad y'all are getting to connect.

Esther said...

that list makes me smile...