Wednesday, January 30, 2008

How 'Bout Them Cowgirls

Speaking for a certain stratum of Wyoming, we survive winter by watching basketball. The latest, greatest are the Wyoming Cowgirls. They won the NIT last year, led by a girl named Hannah from Melbourne. This year Hannah's back and they've won about 21 of the last 23 games.

We went to Ft Collins on Saturday to see the #18 Cowgirls play the Colorado State Rams (Ewes?) for our festive family weekend featuring Tara and Jeremy. Then tonight, because we're sportsfans, Dad and I went to Laramie to watch the #15 Cowgirls play #27 Utah Utes. There were 6,100 people, setting a regular season record. Pretty good for a snowy Wednesday night.

We got our hearts broken by a three pointer with 0:02 left in regulation, losing 59-60. I'm afraid that won't be good for the ranking, but it's the tournaments that count.

The human interest story of the whole thing is Dean Vaughn is the loyalest fan, going to all the games, braving blizzards, with stats and hometowns memorized. We spotted him both nights by his gold yoke shirt.





I know this is unrelated, but here was the
fiercest competitor of the family Olympics,
look at that face! (Tara Westerman photo)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go, Cowgirls! I have been annoying my students with tales of their success. Normally, I hear the response, "Who wants to watch girls play basketball?" To which I respond, anyone who actually wants to watch the game played right.

Congrats on getting to see some games--a bit of jealousy here!