Thursday, March 20, 2008

Tickled pink

I went to a carry-in luncheon at Ginny's church today. To our amusement, there was a shrimp Jell-O® salad. Shrimp in Jell-O® in Pyrex®, yes.

(Having not tasted it,) I'm not sure which fruit flavor best compliments the compact crustaceans. Peach? Watermelon? Apricot?

10 comments:

Aftann Kisling said...

Thank you for providing an idea for my Easter dinner! And no need to worry, the next time you visit I'll make it for you too. We can then work on the rough draft for our "Jello Creations" cookbook.

Amanda said...

Perhaps it simply created with gelatin and V8, for a cockstail sauce flavor. Yum!

Aftann--I think that cookbook would sell--sweet, savory--all varieties of Jell-O!

Manny Kay said...

I would have puked in my mouth...puked.

Anonymous said...

You just reminded me of reason #1,340,453 I'm glad I live in Melbourne.

abby said...

Han,
Stories like this make up some of my best anecdotes about Midwestern culture. Thank you.

Stranded in Copenhagen Airport,
Abby

Hannah said...

Amanda, I can see you're not a stranger to the Mission Committee pot-luck faithful. The thing is called either an Aspic or Mousse (it was opaque) upon googling.


#1 Shrimp-Tomato Aspic

4 cups V-8 juice (2 cup hot, 2 cups cold)
1 lg. (6 oz.) pkg. lemon Jello
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 lb. shrimp (or use 2 small cans)
2 tbsp. lemon juice
Optional additions: finely chopped water chestnuts, finely minced green peppers and/or finely chopped cucumbers

Dissolve lemon Jello in the hot V-8 juice. Add Worcestershire sauce, celery, shrimp, lemon juice, and cold V-8 juice and any optional additions. Mix together and pour in a long baking dish. CHILL.


#2 Shrimp Mousse

1&1/2lbs cooked & cleaned shrimp
1 can (101/2,oz.)condensed tomato soup
1 pk. (8 oz.) cream cheese
2 Tbls.(1 packet)unflavored gelatin
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green onions*
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. lemon juice

* I sometimes substitute 1/4 cup of dried onion for the green onions.

Heat soup and cream cheese in the top of a double boiler until cream cheese melts. Cool slightly. Stir in gelatin, mix well, then add remain ingredients. Pour into a well greased mold. Refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight. Garnish the top with some greens and a couple of shrimp. Serve with favorite crackers.

Amanda said...

Oh, dear lord. Yuck. Aspics have always sounded distasteful. That being said, I'm still planning to have shrimp fried rice for supper. Let's not blame the noble shrimp!

Aftann Kisling said...

Han, I actually remember my grandma Peggy making recipe #1...not kidding! haha Who knew shrimp jello would create such a stir?!? :)

Anonymous said...

Ahh, to be old enough to remember the tomato aspic. A frequent delectable at lady's luncheons and the occasional holiday feast. It was in my "you must eat one bite" category (character building) but dear ol' mom (she of the salty taste) liked it. It was disappearing when we were y'alls age.

Anonymous said...

hey, i found this website that i thought you might appreciate. there's some great photos and an even better project going on - www.uncultured.com
enjoy.