Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Gasolina rant

May I take this moment to point out that cars run most efficiently between 55-60 mph. "The EPA offers this rule of thumb: Assume that for every 5 mph you drive over 60 mph, you might as well be paying an additional 20 cents per gallon for gas." Why in an era of Inconvenient Truth is no one talking about this?

Abby made fun of me for writing my senators about lowering the speed limit two years ago. She said it so off-the-radar they'd have just laughed shook their heads.

Here is a portion of the response from Senator Enzi('s office):

I agree that driving at elevated speeds burns more gasoline than driving at lower speeds. However, I am not sure that reinstating a NMSL at 55 or 60 mph is the best way to achieve fuel conservation. For instance, cars with their windows down are less fuel efficient than cars that have the windows rolled up because they have more drag. Should the federal government mandate that people drive with their windows up?

Heck, why mandate speed limits at all?

9 comments:

abby said...

Sister,
I love that you have posted about this, as it is a perennial issue for you.

We will bury you with the letter from Enzi tucked against your chest.

(And I am not saying that because I disagree).

Hannah said...

It was an email.

Amanda said...

Uhm, sorry we drove you around at faster speeds. If it makes you feel any better, the road I take to work is a 65 MPH Zone, so I drive a little slower then.

Hannah said...

'Manda, I wasn't seething in the back seat and glaring over Mark's shoulder. I appreciated your family being the one who drove.

#

I recognize people's legal right to drive faster than maximum fuel efficiency. I also drive faster than 60 mph at times. However, most engagements could be met by leaving 10 minutes earlier or arriving 10 minutes later.

With the role oil plays in our immediate lives and public policy, it's important to recognize what we could do to reduce our consumption.

Slowing down doesn't require hundreds or millions of dollars of research and prototypes, or diplomacy, or war, and it significantly reduces fatalities.

Our transportation systems, while good and useful, are not as they should be. Not as they will be.

Amanda said...

Oh, I know you weren't! I'm just teasing. I do try to be concious (sp?) of my speed, and you make an excellent point.

Anonymous said...

I applaud you for calling for sensible driving and governance.

I think this article from Orion Magazine nicely adds to the discussion. http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/2874

It's about how our dependence on oil has decreased our dependence on each other. The author says a return to local interdependence is how we'll survive the changing times.

Anonymous said...

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/2874

Anonymous said...

It's not showing up. Try this instead: www.orionmagazine.org and the article is called "Where have all the joiners gone?"

Devi said...

As a person who loves to drive slowly and is confused by people who don't follow the speed limit, I'm totally with you. I'm also impressed by that person who seems to have written you a real letter. Hooray for good politicians.