Monday, April 14, 2008

Highlighting hibernation

Frankfurt 2006

Leah Miller has come to Wyoming for a week. It's a treat to have her, though I'm pretty sure Mother equals my excitement since our visit to the Millers in Ruidoso, NM, last August.

I collected Leah in Denver on Saturday, where we met up with mutual friends on Pearl Street, near the DU campus. It's a great area, charming, and having grad students there - men - reminded me of certain dormant facets of life with my family and as a substitute teacher at Wheatland High School.

Bringing Leah home highlighted my scene ever more. My buds are high school boys. Pictured here.

K, C, T

Today, Kelly and Travis pestered me to find out which of the two of them Leah likes best? And how old is she? Kelly assumed he was in the lead because he gave her Sun Chips when we chaperoned the Student Council lock-in Saturday night. I told him Leah would not want to mess with his girlfriend, Amy Jo, and he said leave her out of it. In a Kip Dynamite voice.

I've long held high school boys are the funniest as a population. They approach the world with a combination of awe and irreverence. Charlie and I rock-paper-scissors for who takes the garbage out. Life moves at the speed of text messages, 9:30 curfew on school nights. Char's latest shtick centers around me being 26 and living in my parents' basement, and earnest offers of support to get my feet on the ground. God bless him.

Oh, but it's nice to have Leah here for twenty-something fellowship.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

As someone who spends a lot of time with HS boys, I echo your sentiments. They are hysterical--especially when they're not really trying. Glad you have someone your own age to chat with, though!

Aftann Kisling said...

Hi Han,
I'm coming to Chug this weekend. Be there on Fri. evening and staying through Sun around noon...I want to see you! Call me when it's good for you. I can even try to stay up past 9, hahah...

Anonymous said...

hannah, in regards to the hs boys: i had two of your three for a week and i absolutely agree. ask travis to tell his michael vick joke. the week taught me that i am not mentally prepared for that stage of life yet-but that i better be quick to the draw when it does come around. i do, however, appreciate their humor (especially when it doesn't involve too many explicit words or detail).

lynnkirkbride said...

Dan and I are supposed to be on the victory lap... 4 more months till Charlie goes off to college. I started out sentimental but after last week's car wreck (Char and Travis are ok but car is totalled) I am less so. I think we are dragging in with our tongues hanging out... Better get your boots on for those of you who have yet to have teenage boys!
Love- Mother