After months of life quietly passing by, beautiful fall giving way to cold winter giving way to warm spring (rainy spring as I write), it's crunch time. Between today and Monday, my supervisors from India come, I go on a field trip and have extra cultural classes as the final phase of language school, assemble with my entire work team finally assembling in Kabul this weekend, completely pack house because the lease is expiring, and 'graduate' from language school.
Right now I'm procrastinating doing laundry because though I have access to both a machine and electricity, it's pretty labor intensive - haul the warm water upstairs in buckets, pour in water, help the agitator along (it's top loading without a top), put clothes in the centrifuge a few at a time, do another load, centrifuge, up to four loads with the same water but I'm more in the two loads camp, change the water and do it all again in lieu of rinsing, and finally hang it on racks to dry. It appears that was all one sentence. But also, it is raining and I have the gas stove lit, the cat is curled up next to me.
Instead...
I adore my brothers but have made peace that most of our communication will take place in person or not at all. It has improved as we've aged, and facebook plus a sister-in-law have helped the process. But suddenly out of left field, Charlie, U of WA freshman and Sportswriter in the Making, has shown himself to be if not a frequent correspondent, at least a thorough and amusing one. I haven't asked his permission, but because none of his friends read my blog, I'm going to chance posting an excerpt. We should all be so lucky to have a 19 yr old brother:
My love life has been pretty uneventful. I've started sitting next to this girl in my favorite class named Courtney. I do have her number and she's flirty in class, but I've texted her a few times and she doesn't seem quite as anxious to chat. Hopefully I'll get a chance to hang out with her sometime because she does make my palms sweat and heart race to some degree.
In other news, college basketball has been pretty rough in the last two weeks. Wazzu lost to St. Mary's in the NIT first round, Duke got crushed by Villanova in the Sweet 16 (at least they made it that far this year), UNC is in the Final Four and have a real good shot at winning the whole shabang, and to put the giant pickle on the crap sandwich that is my college basketball life... Tony Bennett (head bball coach and patron saint in Pullman) just took the head coaching job at Virginia.
I think that's about it for the scoop on my life. Dad and I have become quite the text buddies in the last few weeks, so that has been really fun. He's an A+ cellular pen pal.
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I never wanted a younger brother, but reading that email.. I don't know. It could have been fun.
After that post, if you were my sister, our relationship would be strained. Just saying...
Han- Sorry I haven't been in touch. I am in Riverton at our Job Development Boot Camp training and haven't been able to find time to write you. You are making your changes... bet you are getting excited about the big trip. loved this post. Hang in there with the brothers. They adore you... well Char used to.... XXOO Mother
"and to put the giant pickle on the crap sandwich that is my college basketball life..."
That made me laugh out loud! Charlie you're awesome XD
I hope everything goes smoothly for you!!
Post a Comment