Thursday, September 17, 2009

Caution Mick: foot anecdote

My Grandpa Ken said the only thing I'd get by coming here is older. His point is well taken, but I'm happy to report one thing that's better for the wear. My right big toenail has been cured of a fungal infection. Meaning, I now have a right big toenail.

It had been becoming worse for at least two years though it didn't manifest itself grossly. (Ok, a few times I had to drill a hole in it to drain it because the pain was waking me up at night). Mostly, the nail just receded over time so I had about 1/5 toenail remaining when I finally visited the team doctor. She put me on three months of anti-fungal pills which I took almost faithfully. Now six months later, my toenail has re-grown to a matching pair.

There's still the degenerative issue of cracked heals, but I'm sure they would heal with a little beach therapy, a saltwater soak and sand exfoliation.

[Unfortunately, pictures won't upload. I'm so sorry.]

5 comments:

Anduin said...

You should teach your class to do pedicures in addition to eyebrow threading.

Aftann Kisling said...

Draining toe nails, brings back fond memories...lol!

abby said...

Good one, Sue.

Amanda said...

My horrible heels have been helped by vaseline. I borrowed some from the babe. I love that you attempted to load photos--yay big toenails!

tara said...

i might have literally thrown up on the spot if you had a picture of a before and after (pre drain, mid drain, post drain, new toe nail...) sister, i can not handle feet and all their possible ickyness.