Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A little fat

My female colleague speaks freely and fondly of the "fat funny lady" in our reading class. She also talks about how beautiful the fat funny lady is.

I asked her if Afghan people think fat or thin is more attractive. She said, "Both. But I like fat, like you. A little fat." This is a pretty common international anecdote (or maybe just for Kbride sisters in 2009), but it's the first time I've had the pleasure.

And while I'm at it...

There's an expat here who loves animals. I don't know if it's her love for copious numbers of animals, or lack of veterinary care, I'm inclined to think the latter, but she runs what we call The Cat Farm.

I've met a few of the pets from her cat farm around town. One day I was bemoaning to my German colleague that these cats are softer, prettier, and nicer than my cat. She consoled me, "Yes, but you know, some pets are like their owners, and Percy is like you."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ouch! Whatever else might be said about Afghan sensibilities and German social skills, please know that you are, of course, absolutely gorgeous just the way you are.

anduin said...

This is funny. I received a similar compliment recently from my friends from India, who said that a sari would look good on me because I'm not skinny and have meat on my bones. Um, thanks?

I wonder how Percy is like you...daring and adventurous? Likes pretty carpets?

Also, do you consider the "fat funny lady" to be fat?

abby said...

Sue,
I think we will always be "a little fat". I am trying to embrace it amidst Boulder's fitness culture. Miss you very, very much. Are you sure you don't want to move to Albuquerque?

Monica said...

Hey thanks for making me laugh at your expense. Someone told me once, "you're not fat, you're just soft." Shucks.