Hi pet,
I've been thinking
And so, I’ll be found with my stake stuck in this ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul
from "Roll away your stone" was my favorite line of M&S, but for the moment I may have to go with
And death is at your doorstep
And it will steal your innocence
But it will not steal your substance
from "Timshel." I saw on the internet that the song has strong ties to East of Eden, which would make sense, having never read it, to the way British boys could write with such conviction about the dust bowl.
And this, from "After the storm,"
And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.
Thanks for your note two nights ago. Gr. Pat wrote me after your big party with homemade ice cream, which sounded lovely. I wish I were there in the summertime to enjoy all the fun evenings everyone has been having together.
I love you,
Hann
###
From an email I sent my sister, centering around the British band Mumford & Sons. Their album Sigh No More got her through the spring, she brought it for me in May and it's been my soundtrack of the summer. It's a real pleasure for both the poetry of its gracious lyrics and its musicality.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
M&S have gotten me through my summer. 'Timshel,' being linked to one of my favorite books of all time (as you said), especially has been on repeat. Thank you for posting this - I'm in tears. Strange how lyrics and music can do that sometimes. XO
and this is why you and Katie and i must like each other... among other reasons. Hans, can you and katie come over tonight and enjoy timely lyrics and each other's company over dinner (we'll cook up a good guatemalan feast except dessert by katie though)?
I'll see you in a few hours beautiful girls.
x
Typico breakfast and Gallos? Guac? Katie, something with chocolate and raspberries, or from the cream cheese family? I would love to. So much.
They were killed coming back over a pass so somehow,
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair paints this "Last Battle"-esque picture in my mind of hiking over that redeemed pass someday with Glen and Cheryl.
Post a Comment