Since finishing my work in Afghanistan, I've been asked to give a few talks about my experience there. It's ranged in audience, a Rotary group in New Zealand, two book clubs - one of retirees and one of 9-year-old girls and their moms, church groups, family friends, former colleagues. I started out with one version of the speech and it's evolved a bit to fit each crowd. I have a slide show of 20, 40, or 60 pictures, depending on the audience.
This past week I gave two talks to 4th-6th graders, at the invitation of my cousins. It was the first time I'd talked to kids, and with my dad's help, seasoned communicator that he is, I managed a more-engaging-than-usual presentation. This coming week Charlie has gotten me a gig in Pullman, Washington. It is the last on my docket. I've appreciated audiences with ears to hear, who are interested in our involvement there.
I told the kids how comfortable clothes arefor men in Afghanistan, just like pajamas
This girl said, "But the coat is hot."And I was like, "Tell me about it."
Fourth grade girls who've read Three Cups of Tea
2 comments:
I see a new career in your future. Even if I'm wrong, this is SO great. I wish I would have learned more about Afghanistan when I was in 4th grade...
Very, very cool. You are on your way to being a seasoned communicator in your own right.
Post a Comment