Sunday, July 22, 2012

Cooking without consequences

I've alluded to my housekeeping efforts in Blantyre.  It should be acknowledged my duties centered on grocery shopping and cooking, as we had David doing all dishes, laundry, bed-making, and mopping.  
David

On his first day with us (after watching over the house for 16 years), David took my clean dishes out of the drying rack, said they weren't clean, and proceeded to wash them with soap and dry them before rinsing off the suds.  I made my peace with that pretty quickly and rinsed the dishes every time I used them.

Our predecessors said he was trustworthy.  We operated on that assumption, and found it to be our experience too.  

 Before 

After

The social context we stepped into was a bit uncomfortable, being called "boss," extreme physical deference, and limited ability to communicate, but part of me will always long for David, who cleaned up dinner parties for 11 so pleasantly.  

We said goodbye to Malawi yesterday.  Now we're in Cape Town, South Africa, having spent a lovely day with Glenn and Candace, friends of a friend of a friend of a friend.  

2 comments:

Amanda said...

How lovely--I will now always long for that myself!

Anduin said...

Strange. I remember Abby saying they didn't wash off the soap in the Faroes. I wonder what the reason is.