Saturday, July 28, 2012

Flagyl in Franschoek

It happens that one of the beautiful places of the world is Franschoek, South Africa.  It is a wine region.   




We went to Franschoek on sunny Tuesday.  I left Malawi running a low-grade fever last Saturday.  By Tuesday I felt much better with the aid of Flagyl, which treats amoeba.  

What I didn't count on as we toured the vineyards is Flagyl's chemical similitude to Antabuse.  Antabuse treats alcoholism, making a person extremely nauseated if they have any alcohol.  On schedule, I popped a pill just as we left the second vineyard to return to Cape Town.  I was miserable for the rest of the night.   


It was equalled only by drinking grape juice the next night (which also, apparently, makes one nauseated on Flagyl), and going out on the ocean looking for great white sharks on Thursday.  My body was on a roll, so I was ill off the boat for most of the trip and beyond. But as we were successful in seeing sharks, it was worth it.

1 comment:

Anduin said...

Ack, one of those instances where the cure is worse than the illness. At least you have pictures to remind you of the loveliness of the place.