Friday, July 25, 2014

World Cup 2014

The World Cup has come and gone. I love it for the global party it is, and am simultaneously disgusted with FIFA. As I trust most people who follow soccer/football are.

It brought me to reflection on the last two World Cups, nostalgic for the possibility and excitement of my great adventure starting in Berlin in 2006, when Germany hosted and I attended the final two games on the Fan Mile, where Germany came in third and Italy won. And then 2010 with the vuvuzelas of South Africa honking, watching games with friends from eight countries, carrying-in snacks and staying up for the 11 p.m. games, getting sick from a bad watermelon in Faizabad.

This year found me on my couch in my home, a sensible American Leather sleeper off Craigslist in a condo built in 1973 in Colorado. I'm a homeowner, and a television owner. My husband was away working in Michigan, so I watched games by myself in Spanish on Univision - because our cable package has that and not ESPN. Seven months pregnant, trying to stay cool.

I've been missing the Hannah of 2006 and 2010. Settling down is not particularly glamorous, though Hannah of 2010 had begun to long for it. But I trust that each of the seasons of life are sweet in their way.


Here we were five days ago at Leah and Phils' beautiful wedding (reception). I got to be a bridesmaid, and the lady who took the picture told Tom to put his hand on my stomach, otherwise I would look huge. Ha. 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You are a lovely bridesmaid! I love your idea that settling down is not glamorous, as I look back in a week that involved deep cleaning my bathroom and guest room, spending over 90 minutes on hold with centurylink, and giving about 15 timeouts to a small boy who yelled that I was not his mom anymore. I live in the hope that my eternity is pretty glamorous, and remember the beautiful sunset on a drive home, and the time the small boy said, "I love you infinity."

stacia said...

Sometimes I miss my old self too. But mostly I am grateful to have had those years of glamorous adventure, and these years of a different sort of adventure.