Tom grandfathered a time share into our marriage. I wasn't so familiar before, but you purchase the time share for annual use and then continue to pay an annual fee for the rest of your life or they sue you.
Given the truly great thrill I get from planning travel and finding the best spot for the best value, I feel a little ungrateful to be part of a club where all the good places (i.e. Hawaii, Santa Fe) have to be booked a year in advanced and the ones that always have openings are on Grand Lake in Oklahoma.
But Tom argues that the best use is renting a multi-room condo somewhere in Colorado and inviting family or friends. So this year, we canceled our April reservation in Vancouver during the cherry blossom season and booked a two-room penthouse in Steamboat Springs. I was genuinely open-minded about trying it Tom's way and given that we purchased a house in March and have a wee boy, there was sense in staying close.
It was the last week of ski season at the legendary resort and we bought "Springalicious" ski passes. Tom loves to ski but had to take it slow with his healing ankle, I don't love to ski but was going to be a sport on the bunny slope. In the end there wasn't much snow and it was icy/slushy, so the highlight was riding the gondolas with Max. We also established that I don't ever have to go downhill skiing again. For the win.
Our guests were our respective parents, Tom's during the week and mine on the weekend. We had a great time with all of them adjusted for their interests and paces. The condo was nice, parking and proximity were good, and I bought a bunch of food at Costco for dinners. Max did take that week to descend into a thrice/night waking schedule including a preferred playtime of 5 am, but the grandparents were gracious. I don't know what the future holds with this timeshare, but fun was had by all.
Given the truly great thrill I get from planning travel and finding the best spot for the best value, I feel a little ungrateful to be part of a club where all the good places (i.e. Hawaii, Santa Fe) have to be booked a year in advanced and the ones that always have openings are on Grand Lake in Oklahoma.
But Tom argues that the best use is renting a multi-room condo somewhere in Colorado and inviting family or friends. So this year, we canceled our April reservation in Vancouver during the cherry blossom season and booked a two-room penthouse in Steamboat Springs. I was genuinely open-minded about trying it Tom's way and given that we purchased a house in March and have a wee boy, there was sense in staying close.
It was the last week of ski season at the legendary resort and we bought "Springalicious" ski passes. Tom loves to ski but had to take it slow with his healing ankle, I don't love to ski but was going to be a sport on the bunny slope. In the end there wasn't much snow and it was icy/slushy, so the highlight was riding the gondolas with Max. We also established that I don't ever have to go downhill skiing again. For the win.
Our guests were our respective parents, Tom's during the week and mine on the weekend. We had a great time with all of them adjusted for their interests and paces. The condo was nice, parking and proximity were good, and I bought a bunch of food at Costco for dinners. Max did take that week to descend into a thrice/night waking schedule including a preferred playtime of 5 am, but the grandparents were gracious. I don't know what the future holds with this timeshare, but fun was had by all.
The very pretty drive out
through rural Colorado
Baby and Grandma Joy napping
Jesus glorified in Colorado
as imagined at the new Catholic church
We bought discount ski passes,
which is a good thing
Gondola baby #1
Gondola baby #2
Gondola baby #3
loves stealing him some glasses
At Strawberry Park Hot Springs
with my parents and the seven
month glorious baby Max.
A lady commented how bohemian the springs were
and Dad said, "That's my middle name." Which is funny.
His sunscreen was "coral safe,"
but in the end, not actually waterproof
Tom in his natural element
1 comment:
We love Steamboat! Glad you could enjoy some family time!
Post a Comment