
Map of June 5 to June 23
Here's the rub to big road trips by oneself. Driving. I've done 3,600 miles in less that 3 weeks. If I were doing it again, I would do it differently, 13 different beds in the past 13 nights. But I wouldn't pass up seeing any of the 45 or so people I've seen in these past days. It's good to learn this for the trip to come. I can't maintain this.
A. NY, cont. Through Binghamton one night with Rachael & Jeremys' other aunt on the way to the water.
B. Nantucket, Massachusetts. My place of employment during the summer of 2003, I hadn't been back. My visit was to Phil & Min + kids, the cousins for whom I worked, and friends, the Blounts. Besides brief QT, I biked around the island, went to the Whaling Museum, quite possibly the finest subject-specific museum I've seen, and got to see more friends than expected when Mary Blount invited some other of my summer friends over for a delicious dinner.




clockwise: The Whaling Museum - 47 ft. sperm whale skeleton, they have the jawbone of an 87 ft. one. The Pszwaro brothers - with antlers like that, who needs bunny ears? Dear friend Mary. Dionis sunset.
C. New Haven, Connecticut. In 1998, I met Susan at a summer program put on by the U. of Wyoming. The last time I saw her was February of 1999, so we figured out. This stop was to the condo she and her boyfriend bought two weeks ago, also meeting the dog they bought three weeks ago. The next day, Brannon showed me around Yale, where he's doing a PhD in microbiology. Susan is pursuing a day job of headhunting and a night job of selling insurance and mutual funds. A real grown-up :)
D. Burke and Arlington, Virginia. Visits to family friends the Garbers as well as JBU pal Andrea, enjoying Chinese and Indian food for two evenings of good conversation (or kind listening at least). Saw Abby's space in Senator Enzi's office as a summer intern, and the Museum of the American Indian.
E. Chapel Hill, North Carolina. So now to UNC, home of the Tar Heels, to help out with basketball camp for two weeks (read: make sure the 12 year olds are out of bed, not teach them to make layups). Brother Mick has worked this camp for the past two years. In order to spend some time with him and because I like basketball and big-hype events, I'm going down to join him and Roy Williams.
No comments:
Post a Comment