Friday, June 16, 2006

The Pretender

Coming to help staff the Carolina Basketball School, I had some idea that there would be others from around the country, people who like basketball, maybe have a UNC connection. Wrong. There are pretty well 40 from North Carolina and two from Wyoming. One of whom had to have her brother explain that Roy Williams looks like Pawpa so she didn't embarass herself in the cafeteria at breakfast.

Certain people would give their firstborn to run into the Carolina basketball team at a burrito place at midnight, but I had to ask who Tyler Hansborough is.

This is the most state school I've had, thinking of it. It's not all together savory, this particular experience. I suppose the athletic department wouldn't have been my crowd even if I had been at UW. But it's a fair cross section of 20-year-olds trying to figure life out.

And the campers. Oh yeah. Eight hundred boys this past week, 600 signing in on Sunday. They're fun, a little crazy. We don't get much sleep and they don't want to sleep much.

All in all, I'm glad to be here. I'm glad to be here with Mick and get to meet his buddies. It's like having an additional four lewd brothers. More later on all this, maybe . . . I'm off to check keys.

1 comment:

Amanda Ellis Pollard said...

I got your postcard, and I'm saddened to find you a temporary Tar Heel, abandoning the manly Duke blue for powder blue, choosing to celebrate individual over team play, picking the team of Jordan, over the team of Shane Battier (a religion major). Oh, Hannah. I hope we can still win you back to the side of the Blue Devils, back to the Polish West Point grad Krzweyski, over the Kansas-fleeing Williams. Well, have fun!