Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Dusty the Green Thumb

I've had three plants in my life: An aloe, a rubber plant, and a glossy-eared one. When I went to Central America for a month in 2005, I apparently forgot to ask Michael to water the latter (I'm not discussing the first two), so that upon my return its leaves had rotted to death.

The only option was drastic pruning to the tune of one remaining leaf. I took some ridicule. Especially when I taped it to a pencil for support. But where were the naysayers when it grew a new leaf that fall? When I graduated, it went to Mandy who has a beautiful garden at her house.

Fast-forward to two weeks ago at the Soderquist Center in Arkansas. Everyone was most eager to show me Dusty's (two fellow co-horts removed) handiwork, the plant he'd inherited from Mandy.

Lo and behold, the man is a wonderthumb. The thing is ready to flower. I played WMVY and exhaled CO2 on it the best I knew how, but he seems to have another secret all together. Does it only like Rodgers and Hammerstein? Scott's Miracle Gro on the sill? Here's to you, Mr. Pruitt.

My plant, December 2005

Dusty's Plant, September 2007


ps, while I'm writing about houseplants, Abby and Ben are "honeymooning" in Kosovo where a bomb went off two days ago.

2 comments:

Leah said...

it is important to note that the initial rejuvenation of the plant was during the first months of dusty dating a Scott's employee... trying to impress her with his mad miracle gro skills maybe?

Anonymous said...

First, I was tame at the Tamil trivia night. Second, you should see my dad's garden now. It's beautiful (lots of flowers).