Friday, February 1, 2008

three threads, one plait

You know how sometimes life takes on themes; related things inexplicably keep coming up. Like right now I'm in a bit of an Afghanistan/Pakistan phase thanks to NPR's Fresh Air on Sarah Chayes, her book The Punishment of Virtue, a visit from the McIlvains who used to live in Afghanistan, finding my friend Dave who grew up in Pakistan in a random photo on the internet, a note from TEAR Australia saying they don't hire Canadians for openings in Kabul, etc. For all that, I'm going somewhere different with this post, but you know what I'm talking about?

The three threads of this week are babies, teenagers, and teachers.

Right now I'm visiting my friend Aftann in Riverton, the middle of Wyoming. She had a baby nine weeks ago. I don't know what to do with Carson, but he's patient enough as long as he's not hungry, and cuddly when full. Brock watched the babe while Aft and I went to Juno this evening. Juno, in case you've been in a hole, is the story of a teenager who gets pregnant and gives her child for adoption. It's charming and quirky. And it inspired Dr. Phil to have teen mothers on his show today, which we watched because it's what stay-at-home moms do.

This brings me to teens. I subbed three days in the last week at Wheatland High School. There was a girl who is visibly pregnant in Science on Wednesday. Aftann's cousin was in one of my classes all three days and I was pleased with her grapevine report that I'm the best sub at the high school, even though asked her stop texting on her pink Razr during class.

Which brings me to teaching. Aftann and Brock are teachers on the Wind River Reservation. Their students are heirs to one hundred fifty years of sorrow, meth the most recent harbinger, Christ have mercy. She's been on leave since December, but we dropped by the school to pick up sandwiches for Brock's junior high wrestlers' meet tomorrow. It was fun to see some of her kids at the movie tonight, though I wouldn't necessarily take a third-grader to Juno. Stepping out with Mrs. Kisling was stepping out with a celebrity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. I love it when something I've read, or heard on NPR, shows up somewhere else. I'm particularly delighted when the threads seem to lead to answering Jeopardy questions correctly.

I also liked your thoughts on school, and I'm proud of you for asking a student to stop texting. Cell phones are the bane of modern education, as plenty of paper for note writing was probably the bane of 1940's education.

I too have a pregnant student, and as I am waiting (still) for the right time to become pregnant myself, it has filled me with hurt and jealousy.

Threads. Great post.

megarber said...

Very gratifying to know you're the coolest sub. Yes, thought "Juno" asked some great questions and had some good insights, but it did leave me feeling sad too for the state of the common teen. Hope all is well with you during this ongoing wait for the future. You know them better than me--especially the everyday stuff which all families have--but it must be great to be waiting with such a wonderful family! Hi to all of them too.

Jason said...

This thread thing is interesting: the week that has just expired left me with an absinthe (yes the drink) thread. Maybe I shouldn't put that information on the internet.

j