Thanks to facebook, blogs, and free weekend minutes, lately I've had more connection with my old Arkansas roommates than other times in the past. It's a marvel to see what paths their lives have taken. Here are recent updates, pretty fresh off the press.
Ashley
Freshman roommate who only lasted a semester before returning to her boyfriend, now husband of five years, in Lincoln, Nebraska. In the past two weeks, the birth parents of their son had the baby, spent a week deciding if they would keep him, leaving Ashley and her husband devastated, and ultimately gave the baby to Ash and Mark at the end of the week. What a ride! They'll be amazing parents.
Vicky
We finished freshman year and roomed together again as sophomores. One of our friends working Christmas Break maintenance told us we had the messiest room on campus. Three years ago I visited her in Managua, Nicaragua, her home. Since then she's gone to the U of Arkansas for a Master's in environmental engineering and just moved to Seattle. I got to talk with her for the first time in 2.5 years last night. How does time do that? I adore Vicky.
There was a two year hiatus from roommates when I had my own room and then apartment as a member of JBU Residence Life.
Ali, Ann, Leah
I spent my last year in Siloam in a great old house. It was one of those with a rotating cast each year. The coolest girls on campus, circa 1999-2003, who now populate the Colorado Front Range, lived there. We inherited it from the guys who either grew up in Africa or now work there and left the place smelling like masala and gym socks.
Ann and Leah became best friends that year. It's a very fine result. Now they live in L.A. and San Francisco, offering their creativity to the world. I got to see Ann in June, a sweet if brief reunion, and I have it on facebook and blog authority that they got to visit each other the past two weekends.
Ali has graced these pages before as a PhD candidate at the U of South Carolina in southern lit. I'm passing through her hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, in a week and needed what no couchsurfer is interested in providing: an evening pickup from the bus station and a blech early morning to the airport. I called Ali and she patched me through to her best friend who has offered to bless me in such a way as I will require. It exciting to meet a best friend of a good friend.
Godspeed, ladies.
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I still remember the very first time we talked on the phone. You told me you were from Chugwater. I had to laugh (sorry). Then you just came right out and said "I blot my pizza with a napkin." I have to admit that scared me a bit b/c I didn't know what the heck it meant! Our short semester gave us plenty of memories. What was it that you chewed on when you read in bed? Your toothbrush, right? I remember how your closet area was always a disaster (so I'm not surprised you were voted the messiest room). We had good times eating food from the City Bagel I brought home and, of course, just great conversations. I love that we've "hooked" back up and I plan on you as a lifelong friend. Don't forget me the next time through Lincoln! Love ya!
I was brushing my teeth.
That honey walnut cream cheese and the chicken tortilla soup...
Going to Lincoln for fall break in your Honda, meeting Mark...
Eighteen years old, oh gosh...
Post a Comment