Monday, June 29, 2009

The Other NGO gaffe

Today I went with my esteemed colleague/reluctant cultural informant to visit who turned out to be the head of women’s affairs for the entire province. We wanted to find out what they are doing and if there was any way we could come alongside with educational programming, particularly in business. By my estimation it was an awkward meeting as the first such for both my colleague and myself.

To put this in context, my Dari is infantile. My associate translated, but she missed out some of the information. I understood the Rais was thanking us profusely and very excited about our visit (though not particularly about basic business learning circles for women). It came as a bit of a surprise.

The organization I work for has been in the country a long time, but it’s name sounds like that of an international NGO with a lot of money. Yes, I work for something called the UM. Just kidding.

I wondered if this boss had mistaken us after going on and on about the help last winter. Our only other project in the province is micro-hydro power, so if you have a stream running through your village, it can be harnessed to create enough energy for every house to have two 10-watt bulbs. I never was clear on the particular connection between micro-hydro and this ministry but on we go.

Back at the office, we debriefed and our sex-lingual boss negotiating the nuances.

The Rais did think we were the other guys. The copious thanks were for because ‘we’ gave money to widows last winter, but most of all, 'we' funded their entire learning center compound and office complex.

Yes, awesome, you’re welcome.

2 comments:

Manny Kay said...

Love it! Can I share this in my International Management course?

LASIK went well. Find an excellent doctor and get it done (emphasis on excellent doctor). I haven't washed my face in five days...makes me giggle because I think of you. My vision is perfect, which is just crazy because I was legally blind without my glasses! I consider it a miracle procedure.

abby said...

Hahahah!

In a similar experience, after painstakingly organizing information for a provincial office launch last month including releases, press briefing, ad naseum, the main government reporting branch here published an article calling us the International Justice Movement, and crediting the project to the director from Cebu.