Monday, July 20, 2009

Life regular

Here are three things that have become normal to me, unless I think about them; the rules rather than the exceptions:

Old men with turbans (taffeta cloth wrapped around a pill-box hat) and big white beards
Periwinkle ghosts
Braying donkeys that sound like Sand People from Star Wars

It's still not quite normal to be greeted by 85% of children with either "HOW ARE YOU" or "a-Salaam."

When we leave the office, my colleague, six years my junior, dons her burka. It's very strange when you know the woman who's under it. Once when we were in a taxi I asked her if her brother saw her in the street (avoiding asking questions about her husband, which wouldn't be proper), would he know her?

"Of course, I would have my son with me."

If you didn't have your son....

"I would be with my mom and sisters."

I don't think I ever exactly got the answer I was looking for.

4 comments:

Dan and Lynn said...

What is a perwinkle ghost?!?! Would one go in my new kitchen?!?! Sounds intriguing....Abbs is here safe and sound...

Hannah said...

Periwinkle is the color of a burkua. A purplish-blue. I don't know how it would go with the aqua and cherry red, but you actually can get little souvenir ones that go on tops of bottles, or dolls. I had thought I might get you jewelry instead :)

Devi said...

You should put a copyright on the term periwinkle ghosts - easily the best description of a woman in a burka I've ever heard.. I appreciated this blog, Hannah.. I could see it in a book :).

Unknown said...

Thank you for asking, Lynn, I was puzzled too. And you're right, Devi, it is a brilliant description. It conjures up the shape, the colour, and memories of Casper (the friendly ghost) all rolled into one.