But one adjustment I may not be able to do justice is the uni-brow beautiful. When Katie's midwestern babysitting charge-turned-beautician came to do the stylist course at the beginning of June, I happened to be party to the eyebrow discussion. She was showing how to shape the brow, lining it up with the nose and the iris and pluck with the grain when one of the Afghan girls brought up the unibrow. What about that?
Now, any self-respecting Middle American beautician would never abide a uni-brow, and this was no exception. She stammered that normally we prefer two eyebrows. I did interject that, um, you can't really say that here. They wear what their momma gave them.
Living in 616 with Ali during her Frida Kahlo phase prepared me a bit, but since arriving here, I've become insensible to the uni-brow. A woman, should she have one, will keep it well manicured, though I note that until a woman is married she can't thread/pluck her eyebrows because otherwise, how would a man know she wasn't married?
For our exercise class, I drew a woman without a face in as formless a leotard as possible doing leg lifts. When my colleague traced her in black, she included a face and a uni-brow.

Getting my makeup done - just before she plunged the same kohl she uses for her baby into my eyes. She wouldn't honor my request to connect them on top because as she pointed out, they don't do that naturally.
4 comments:
You have to use a squatting toilet? Seriously? I can handle almost anything except squatties.
The picture uploaded! Hooray! you look beautiful and I know your brothers are glad you don't have a uni-brow!!!
"Getting my makeup done - just before she plunged the same kohl she uses for her baby into my eyes."
I don't understand this...what is kohl and baby doing in the same sentence? What would she use it for?
Hannah, I think YOU are uni-brow beautiful. And I echo Anduin's question...what???
Post a Comment