I think it was Nicholas who told me Positive Attribute people (I've forgotten) read 30 books a year. It's the sort of thing he'd know.
I may have mentioned before on this blog that I don't read many books and I wish I did.
Because of this fact, I feel every book really has to count. If it's not beloved of a friend, a classic, hasn't won an award, shaped pop culture, or if the author hasn't sold 43 million books worldwide in 56 languages, I can't be bothered.
One good thing about the last year is that I've read more books than in years past. I've even been in play readings.
About six weeks ago I borrowed The English Patient, which won the Booker prize in 1992. I finished the book in two weeks, told someone proudly that it had won a Booker prize, and then wondered what the Booker prize was.
Let me enlighten you the way the internet has me: The Man Booker Prize is awarded for the best novel written in English by a citizen of the Commonwealth (I would be eligible as a Canadian) or the Republic of Ireland. Every year five to seven books are shortlisted and one wins. Any work by a winning author is submitted to the illustrious and revolving committee for the next decade. It started in 1969 by the Booker publishing house and was purchased by Man Group plc. around 2002. The prize is £50,000.
Then, what do you know? About a year ago I picked up another Booker prize winner from the free shelf of a departing family, this time The Remains of the Day, the 1989 winner. I read it last week.
So now I offer the Wikipedia chart of winners and shortlisted books for the last 40 years. I've only read one other, The God of Small Things, and heard of precious few of the others. But I'm inspired.
Friday, November 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Of that list I've only read "The Life of Pi."
Me too, Anduin. Of the winners, the only one I've read is "The Life of Pi". (I thought it was a true story for the first few chapters, [gulp]). But I've read a few on the short-list. I've read both of fellow-Perth-boy's shortlisted books, that being Tim Winton: "The Riders" (depressing) and "Dirt Music" (good but depressing). I've also read "English Passengers" and "Goshawk Squadron". I started "Oscar & Lucinda" but gave up. Half my book collection have bookmarks marking a less-than-half-way point. I see that all the animal books I've been sending Hannah don't rate a mention. Ha.
Thank you for the enlightenment--it was quite interesting to read the list. I was surprised at how many have been made into quite good movies. I've never read The Remains of the Day, but I love the movie (with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson). I have read too few of these as well--A.S. Byatt's Posession: A Romance (which I adore, and have read three times. I save it as a treat to re-read) and Keneally's Schindler's Ark (List, in the U.S.). Also a re-read. I shall have to put some of these on my library list!
Post a Comment