Sunday, November 22, 2009

lest you strike your foot against a stone

There is a rather famous encounter where one bad guy taunts one good guy to throw himself off a building to prove that God protects him. The good guy quotes, Don't put God to the test.

I think of that line multiple times a week when I almost break my neck, usually tripping over stones. Most recently I was getting dinner ready for guests, and went dashing out of the kitchen to my room across the yard. One foot caught in the frayed plastic carpet that lays across my porch, and if God hadn't commanded his angels concerning me, I think I'd have broken one or some of my teeth and arms flying off the porch into the cement ditch. So for anyone who prays about these things every day, or even every once in a while, thank you.

Still, when there are three women walking, and two have blue bags over their heads and high heels on their feet, and one has her face bare and sensible boots one her feet, the one who can see where she's going remains most likely to twists her ankle.

2 comments:

Dan and Lynn said...

Gotcha covered daily....
XXOO

Amanda said...

So true, Hannah, so true. Glad you are without broken bones. In an odd twist, I was thinking about this verse today as well--while carrying Lincoln upstairs with a bag of groceries, I missed the top step and crashed down, squashing some produce and wrenching my neck, but miraculously keeping the babe safe.