Around 2003, Vancouver secured the 2010 Olympics. I was up there visiting my friend Nancy during spring break, and they'd recently put it to a vote, as hosting the Olympics is incredibly expensive.
There are downsides to the Olympics, blogged about more articulately by Nadia, a lady with whom I worked in Vancouver in 2001. She has spent the past decade in B.C., mostly east Vancouver, whereas I have not. (And she's actually getting to share in the fun with her family).
So I acknowledge complications, but I just love the Olympics. I love the sports and drama and competition, upsets, record-setting and breaking. I love Vancouver, city of my birth! My television access is limited by not having a television and by the 11.5 hour difference between Vancouver and Kabul, but even without the timpani that does it to me every time, my eyes still well up when I read ESPN.
I saw this Omega Seamaster watch, special for the Vancouver Olympics. I thought I might like to have one, that it would even be worth $200 to me. Alas, it is not worth $3,800 to me. I will just have to go put on my t-shirt.


4 comments:
Hannah, thanks for linking to me! Try going to ITunes and you can download the opening ceremonies!
We are watching it and thinking of you very often! We can't tell if Lincoln is enjoying his first Olympics or not, though. Wish we could get you the watch!
Hooray, Hannah! I love your commitment to Canada...How AMAZING was Shaun White last night - SERIOUSLY. I wish that I had a little bit of that "go for it" mentality. I've got too much Dutch in me for that though. Dangit.
Yes... Dad and I have been remarking how this must be killing you not to be able to see them! I wish you could have seen Evan win the gold in Men's figure skating last night! He was awesome! Someday let's go and watch the figure skating in person! It is my favorite!
Thinking of you!
Love,
mother
Post a Comment