Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It’s a tough ol’ place

Winter finally came two days ago after a December and January like unto spring.

Today I heard there were avalanches on the one highway connecting the capital to the entire north of the country. The same ladies who told me are equally known for stories of Cyclopes in Pakistan, but news sources confirmed 17 avalanches along the Salang Pass. People were buried on the road, swept off the road down the steep gorge, or trapped in the 1.6 mile Salang Tunnel. Twenty five hundred people have been freed from their vehicles, but BBC reported 150 dead and many more missing. Sigh.

And then two guys at the office are married to sisters. Seven months ago the sisters’ dad died, and yesterday their mom died, both parents of old age, but what a heartbreak! We went and visited the ladies, as is the custom, and there was lots of wailing. I've felt like I could do with some wailing myself the past few days (and in fact did when I slipped in the snow yesterday and broke a hair clip Fay had given me). Sigh.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oof. Wailing is always good for the soul. We love you.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better my slip and fall in the snow total is up to 3 this year. A new record for me.

Jer