Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Haha

I'm in Dubai now, looking out at the tallest building in the world and exhausted. I came out today after two years and 10 days.

Yesterday I had goodbye lunch with my Kabul staff. One of the ladies left afterwards to visit her husband's first wife in the hospital. Our office manager asked me, "What's the word in English for the relation of the first wife to the second wife?"

"We don't have that word in English."

3 comments:

Aftann Kisling said...

Wow, Han, an accomplishment you have made to say the least! So proud of you! And, your anecdote makes me laugh...I've had similar discussions with my students on (the reservation) about how we would define such a relationship. lol!

Amanda said...

May your travels be sweet! Also, according to Big Love, they are sister wives.

Nadia said...

I look forward hearing what is next for you!