It's a relatively little rock overlooking this valley in the foothills of the Hindu Kush. I think it was the ocean or the coast before the Indian subcontinent slammed into Asia because there are huge smooth rocks anywhere you dig. Now it overlooks the river and town snaking through the valley. It is my rock because it has been the consistently beautiful thing in my life. I love it. It's something here that is easy to love. I can see it everyday from my office, every time I walk to my friends' houses, and anytime I've gone for a hike. So many of my friends from this era have climbed it with me.
The hike only takes about 20 minutes, only takes me 20 minutes. Which means it takes some people 10 minutes. It is straight up.
Last night E and C climbed it with me for the last time and stood with me as I scattered a few of Glen's ashes that his dad had given me, ashes to ashes, dust to dust.











6 comments:
az pusht-e-'ftown' cheqa deq shudum ale I hope I'll get back there next year.
Beautiful to know that some of Glenn's ashes were spread there, in that place that I love - love that endures despite the difficulties of my last few weeks there...well doesn't that just sum up A-land! I need to go back and say a proper goodbye...I left Ftown, spent a few days distintegrating in Ktown, mitigated by hanging out with Fay and Glenn and playing frisbee, headed over to Cheryl's office and left a cheeky message on her whiteboard, then left...definitely unfinsihed business in that land that captured our hearts.
Blessings to you, treasure your last days there.
From your roots you inherited a strong affinity to the land. It all appeals to your sense of the land, space and belonging.... a place from which you gain perspective. Glad you left a bit of Glen in an open place in a land which he loved too. You have a "place" like that to come home too which is a good thing.
Love,
Mother
P.S. A great post on a bittersweet day in your life.
My prayers are with you as you make the transition of leaving Afghanistan. I know it will be in your heart forever.
Hannah my dear friend,
My thoughts of Faizabad are fulfilled with good memories and laughs that we shared together, the laugh that springs to mind is infact the walk we took to that pacific rock... Even though its only a SHORT walk I have never seen so many stop off points along the way?? or as you would call them (photographic points while standing their catching your breath) haha..
I wish you well on your next adventure and hope some day our paths cross again as you are a very nice person indeed,
Hope you have a great time back home Hannah and pass on my regards to your family and I wish them all well.
Till we meet again, :-)
M
Han Han Han, thinking of you as you leave. I can't begin to imagine how to process all of that. I loved this beautiful post, and can't wait to see you.
These are amazing pictures Hannah!! Thank you for all you do over there; you truly are shining God's light. I love you and miss you.
Post a Comment